Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Cynicism: the Best Way to Live Life?

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

I'm sorry, what?

Invitations sent.

I am the Prophet of forum

Telling the world how to live, is. not working out, that well.

Cynicism or Realism? Sure, there are people in this world who do good because it is good and not because it benefits them. But, IMO, it is best to believe that everyone is motivated purely by self-interest... so you'll be pleasantly surprised when they act to help someone else.
I'm a trucking dispatcher... it's my job to help truck drivers out all day. Many of them believe I do a good job b/c I care about them when, in reality, I do a good job b/c I want to keep getting PAID. If I was unhappy with the paycheck I wouldn't be doing the job.

Cynicism in my view is a method of lowering one's expectations of people and systems.  If you have low or no expectations, you are seldom disappointed and often pleasantly surprised. 
It's not a great way to live, but, the fact is even altruism is often self serving in that it makes the giver feel good about themselves.

Oddly enough I find I agree with you. "Helpers" whether a dispatcher or cop or social worker, seem to be far better when they treat  the job as a job rather than a calling.
Like Chaucer's Shrieve, the best Christian is the one who is not burdened by faith.
Or as My sainted mother would say; "You want to help? Don't help."

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Cynicism: the Best Way to Live Life?