Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Is it Ethical To Refuse Aid To Others If You Are Capable.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Exactly the correct response. If he is the good guy, he will order *you* to drop your gun, and he would be justified in doing so, but you wouldn't know.
Best to make a decision from cover.

In today's highly complex and often litigious society there are many reasons to avoid getting entangled in someone else's problems. Some of those reasons can put our own family at risk. For example, trained or not, I wouldn't enter into a gun battle under some circumstances to help someone.
The good Samaritan chose to give aid. He had every right to act as others did and walk past. That story outlines a Christian morality. I see morality as something established by society. My society doesn't require me to assist anyone.

This seems more like a morality question than an ethical one.  I see no "requirement" ethically that you feel obligated to render aid to strangers, but morally I could see you feel compelled to do so.

The help they need may not be what they are asking for. E.g., a mentally ill terrorist asking for assistance in his terrorist act.

No greater love has any man than to lay down his life for another and love your enemy. Anything else is not love.

Discerning observation is always a "win". Well stated, salute`!

In other words you are an atheist.

Would that be giving aid to help or destroy? We are not called to give aid to destruction.

gracie lou! my dearest dew drop darlin! how lovely to see you here!..

Yes.

Well thought out response.
My only difficulty, and be clear, I am neither presenting criticism nor judgment of your thinking, is situations we have likely all seen on the media. Gang related, "da terra" related, school shootings, etc.
If no one risks anything, a single shooter can become a whirlwind of death. It seems that although we are social animals, and social responsibility should enter the thinking somewhere, (call me a sexist pig, but if there are even 2 males and 1 shooter, it is "required" they act), the currently viewable behaviors smack of overarching self-interest or we have become craven as a society.
Obviously, the context dictates, and threat response has professional protocols depending upon one's career.
For myself, I think my preference would be to meet the abyss full of rage and exsanguinated rather than piddling the corner while others are disavowed of their existence.

^^Agree with all of this.

How about the alternative option of trying to maintain defense at the corner you are at?  IOW, don't let the situation expand in your direction, and provide a safer area and possible exit to those behind you and able to get behind you.
And of course you should tell those behind you to call for help.

You are not required to put yourself in danger to help someone, and that is perfectly ethical.

Risk vs. Benefit. What am I risking, and what level of benefit could result from my actions? If I am risking my life, I better have a fairly well guaranteed chance of saving someone else's. If me dying wouldn't change the scenario in any way, then I'm not going to risk it out of some misplaced sense of heroism.
If it isn't a risk to me, then I am more inclined to act, but again, it depends on how much I think my actions will actually lead to a benefit. Acting just to be seen doing something doesn't really help anyone.

What if you were the one who needed help and you were bleeding to death and another person was standing around wondering if they should help or not?

A person armed in the midst of a mass shooting would also be directly in danger, so it would stand to reason that they would use their weapon to disarm the shooter if they saw an opportunity to. Why would they be carrying otherwise?
When we talk about rendering aid to others with a firearm, I think more of examples where you are not directly involved in the confrontation... driving by a road rage incident where one person has a gun pointed at another, for example.

Fair enough, but then the Universe rarely gives us the preceding checkbox form for the type of violent crisis we would prefer.

With the litigious population of today... yes.

Of course it doesn't. I'm just saying that the decision to 'render aid' when you're a potential victim of a mass shooting situation is different than 'rendering aid' when the confrontation doesn't directly involve or threaten you at all, and that changes the ethical implications.

I wasn't thinking of a mass shooting situation. I was thinking more like seeing someone being robbed at gunpoint. Hopefully, the victim gives up their valuables, and the thug goes away. A bystander pulling out a gun could make that situation worse.
If it's a mass shooting where many lives are at stake, I think you do have a moral obligation to pull your weapon and do what you can to stop the attacker.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Is it Ethical To Refuse Aid To Others If You Are Capable.