Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Is equality a desirable goal at all?

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Obviously there is a gap in the equality assumption that runs long and deep historically and culturally, but is it actually based on the reasons given or is it ultimately based on sphere of influence and power? Women are especially prone to flaunt this disparity whether real or imagined, but by no means the only segment of humanity to do so. It is often based on the differences, some physical, such as skin color, (race), gender and/or sexual preferences, or economic, (which in my opinion is the primary focus even when the others are being articulated), religion, to some degree, depending on the area and the specific religion; all of it is political and that boils and pares it down, at the end of the day, to power, whether political or just plain brute force. Ultimately there can be no politic without the threat of force and violence somewhere in the background as a last resort. Personally I don’t buy the song and dance that equality of opportunity is the reason some of these issues start being addressed and treated as services like public education for example. I think those in power have learned a semi-educated mass is more fruitful to their designs than an ignorant one. Again, in my opinion, I think that subtle desire to keep the masses ignorant of the realities of just how lacking in equality they actually are is one of the primary drivers in the division of knowledge acquisition into “disciplines”. Or, at least that is how it started out, until knowledge exploded in many areas of human endeavor such as science and medicine requiring dedication to these disciplines by necessity, which worked out well for the powers that be. Look at how Catholicism entered a phase of generating an entirely new language. What purpose did this serve other than to create an inequality in the education of the masses, creating an impression of the bishops and priests as un-touchable scholars to be venerated and obeyed? What I am saying is, even today, how do we imagine such inequalities can be resolved when there is a way but no will to do so? Or, that is to say, when those with the means, have nor see any benefit in such resolutions? It will require a certain amount of “thinking out side of the box” otherwise and the participation of very many more willing players than are currently available.
And there are those who hold that equality is nothing more than a frame of mind. If that be the case, how can anyone be compelled to “change that framework”? The reality is…they cannot. Such a “change” must be brought about by different means than government subsidies and programs. And it doesn’t help that almost every time some movement begins with the goal of “closing the gap”, that it becomes quickly infiltrated by a top heavy group of unlike minded people looking to gain something for nothing. Because, at the end of that rainbow, equalization entails a rebalancing of the books and there will be winners and there will be losers. Such is the game of life.

Did you have any suggestions as to how these inequalities ought to be addressed? Obviously such Democratic measures as have been implemented politically haven’t bridged the gap, while “middle class stature” is still being waved around as the next best thing to equality, or as a shining example of the successes of the measures implemented, I have yet to see any salient proposals that would suffice

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Is equality a desirable goal at all?