Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Sherman in Atlanta(Morning Note)

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

I have read a lot about him. He once crossed a creek near Savanah only to be challenged by a sentry. He ID'ed himself as Sherman, the guard hollered back, "sure you are, third one today!"  He just rode on past with a frown, he had to let lots of things like that go, after all, it was a dirty assignment. When a captured Southern Officer asked him for a letter of clemency he was much harder, balling the man out in front of a crowd, "This country gave you a home, an education and much more, this is how you repay it?" My favourite was when he pointed out how bad things had gone one day to Grant. Grant replied "yep, whoop um tomorrow!" "Yep" and they did.

I am pretty certain that Napoleon misses being the first to say "war is hell" by at least 5000 years.

This is interesting.
I never knew that Sherman gave fair warning and ordered Atlanta to evacuate before he had his troops set fire to it.  And, even as a pacifist, I can see the logic.  Atlanta was a last hold out, and a strong one.  Burn Atlanta down, you win the war.  Hey, it's a war, not a Hallmark card.
As a Southerner, I've heard about Sherman all my life.  But most of the information about him comes from sources like "Gone With the Wind."  Oh, Rhett, said Scarlett......
And I could NOT agree more about what I call "bumper sticker thinking."  I've been on my soap box about that for decades. Fodder for the stupid.

War brings miseries. It can only be fought by those who are willing to sacrifice all to achieve their aim. By this I mean kill and destroy the eminence's will to fight regardless of how cruel or destructive you seem. Some one said all is fair in love and war. Well I say all is not fair only destruction and killing is fair in war. AS for love there can be no war without love.

My mother was and is not racist, but bigoted, perhaps. When I lived with my father and later my grandmother they were more bigoted, though still not racist. However, I do have many of my relatives are blatantly racist, I still love them though and try to avoid the topic of race.
You are correct my generation is not nearly as racist. Though the ones who are in my experience become so because of the internet and are usually outcast. I have always thought the best medicine for racism is being exposed to those you hate. Just as you said, "Nothing like a good baby to turn stubborn gray hair into love." I too have seen this happen, the same can be said about homosexuality and of course, every case will not be the same.
When it comes to the Confederate monuments I am torn. I have tried to put myself in other's shoes and understand how it may make them feel. Though a number of minorities have come out against taking the statues down for varying reasons. I'm not racist(as I hope you know), but as a child enjoyed going to see Historical sites including Confederate monuments and as someone who loves History I still do, though I do not go to such sites as often. I am less sympathetic to those statues erected in the 20's or 60's for the sole purpose of reminding black folks they are second class citizens.

i would think that any substantial preparations for war would not go unnoticed by the North

Yeah, that is true Cleisthenes.

but instead of massive preparations, the south would have been better off not trying to win the war with pitched battles, and certainly the offensive campaigns into Northern territory was misguided at best.

It pays to point out that America , even before the statue imbroglio [ [ or New Cultural Revolution if one prefers ], was fast on its way to becoming the least racist society in the nations history. To be sure, revisionist leftists and their media waste no mean amount of time wringing their hands over the ever-shrinking problem of racism, attempting to falsely inflate it, [ the odious SPLC having an especial hand in all of this intrigue ],  but the fact remains that the enfranchisement of minorities in this nation has never been higher in its long history. Intermarriage between the races. The approval of the election of a black president, hiring and home-ownership, education and public service.
                                   And then finally, in a member state of the Confederacy, now the bright-Red Texas, the vision of thousands of good'ol boy whites risking their own lives to save those of black, brown, and Asian people by the tens of thousands, with no care for their own safety, taking all in can-do stride. This has had the effect of so astonishing the Left, that they damned the light in order to embrace the darkness of their own fears, as a recent article criticizing the efforts of the ''Cajun Navy'' in the uber-liberal NEW YORKER, clearly displayed. HARVEY vindicated, and will IRMA, De Tocquevilles observation of the community spirit in this nation which outlasts the ideological raging of the hour.
<a href="https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/09/07/harvey_shows_americas_colorblind_spirit_--_bad_news_for_race_hustlers_134923.html" rel="nofollow noopener" title="https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/09/07/harvey_shows_americas_colorblind_spirit_--_bad_news_for_race_hustlers_134923.html">https://www.realclearpoliti...</a>

I have many problems with the SPLC, who they support and some of the people they try and silence, but this is not the place for that. I agree the country is less racist as a whole than ever before.
I do worry that our country may be loosing some of the ground she has gained on the race front. In part I place blame upon the shoulders of those who find racism in everything and have nothing else to talk about other than race(race peddlers). P.S. RealClear Politics does some great reporting and the post I made comes from Carl Cannons "Morning Notes" that he writes for RCP.

It's really too bad, Grant was a very poor choice to follow Lincoln.

It's really too bad, Grant was a very poor choice to follow Lincoln.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Sherman in Atlanta(Morning Note)