Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Ethics of moving objects across borders

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

I'm confused, did they steal or did they buy them? Are you implying Christians should never shop at pawn shops less they risk purchasing a stolen item?

Invitations sent.

They should never shop at a pawn shop if they think it's a fence for stolen goods, no.
But that really doesn't apply to a religion.  If the pawn shop is a fence, it is illegal.

There was no theft (at least by Hobby Lobby).

Hobby Lobby didn't smuggle the pieces out--they bought them from someone who did. Almost certainly unknowingly: it's Hobby Lobby, not Antiquities R Us. While the political opportunists among us (present company excepted, of course) could claim "they should have known," many people do things they should have known not to do all the time.
I bet even you have. So, if we are going to invoke hypocrisy to throw Christianity and Hobby Lobby under the bus, remember one of Christ's injunctions: "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

It is perfectly acceptable to "move" objects purchased under legal contract across borders. In this case, it appears not to have been a legal contract, but it also appears not to have been the result of malice on the part of Hobby Lobby. Just negligence--and they'll pay for that.

Smuggling is usually considered theft. I was not saying HL was the thief in that case.

Way to spoil it!
Fun fact: That was the only way Harrison Ford would appear as Han.,.if Abrams killed him off for good.

"negligence"?
From the article:
"But the Justice Department prosecutors say the company should have realized that its acquisition of the artifacts "was fraught with red flags."
In the announcement by Bridget M. Rohde, Acting United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, says that in October 2010, "an expert on cultural property law retained by Hobby Lobby warned the company that the acquisition of cultural property likely from Iraq, including cuneiform tablets and cylinder seals, carries a risk that such objects may have been looted from archaeological sites in Iraq."  "
If HL had such knowledge and still acted, it was either reckless or willful -- not negligent.

"Moving" things across borders seems to me to be different than looting national treasures.  The one (in my opinion) is obviously unethical since it involves removing items without the permission of those it really belongs to.  The other however could be anything from taking a family heirloom with you when you move to a different country.  I see no ethical issue with that even if someone might consider it part of the country's cultural heritage.  Your many times great grandfather's sword, shield and armor for example, preserved by generations of your family.  Does that REALLY belong to the whole country?  I say no.
Grabbing a piece of the Coliseum for a souvenir - now that is wrong.

Consult the firm of H. Solo and C. Bacca.

One could make many arguments indeed...

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Ethics of moving objects across borders