Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Round Table Debate: Religion versus Philosophy?

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

The problems lie in the human mind and the mind is a compilation of tricks ''inherited from our ancestors'' in order to survive and because we all walked a different road through life we all see ''the same things'' differently.
Brainwash is the word.

True religion is philosophy and
True philosophy is religion.
Truth is what matters.
Truth vs myth is the real question..

I would say it is a rabbit hole. And it is paradoxical. In that sense, confusion is the appropriate response. smile
My point isn't that "reality" isn't "real" (though I would say that, metaphysically, whether there exist objects outside of consciousness, or whether the appearance of objects are a product of consciousness itself (which is trivially true), the two scenarios are empirically indistinguishable. We commonly posit that there are objects outside of consciousness in our western ("physicalist") paradigm, which I'd say is basically just a shared metaphor. And that's good enough.)...
my point is that, while your experience is indeed the epitome of "real" to you, when you convey that experience (or action or thought, etc) through language, it has moved into the realm of the abstract. Language is the abstraction. You telling me about it (and maybe even telling yourself about it) turns it from the "Real" (of raw experience as-is) into an abstraction. Does that make any more sense?

Philosophy and religion are closely related to me. I tend to think all fields of study (including both religion and science) are children of philosophy. Our premises about existence and meaning (our philosophy) feed into everything we think and do. We are creatures of habit, and I see religion as instantiating a philosophical perspective through ritual and symbolism. Religion (in the loosest sense; I don't think "God" is remotely necessary for "religion") is very helpful in creating symbols to help keep prioritized meanings centered in our view. I think religion attempts to express the philosophical perspective underlying its symbolism through theology.

PTP.    Hoorah!  Have a great day. I hope to read more of your posts in the future.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Round Table Debate: Religion versus Philosophy?