Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Archaeologists found Sally Hemings' quarters at Monticello

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

"what some want us to believe?"
Physician, heal thyself.

"Historians do NOT debate the existence of rumors "
Rumor and innuendo are 'Not' History, or Journalism, you pedantic twit.

"amidst rumors, probably"
Yeah!
That's History.
Yeah!

Absolutely.  There has always been an element which want us to believe that Jefferson neither raped nor had any sexual contact with the woman.

Always.

I'm going to say something needlessly controversial.
I would love to produce an exquisite, finely-acted production of the tale of Thomas Jefferson finding desire in a young slave woman, a survivor of rape, and he molds her into his vision of beauty, a Parisian beauty, consummated in explicit detail of their slow love-making, lasting thirty minutes en peau, close-up shots, and the vivid, live birthing of their son, years later.
As allegory, in faithful historical and costuming detail.

An insult isn't a physical object.
It's a feeling and a performance.
Rumors are real in that they involve feelings and performances.
Even sophomoric bloggers can be insulted by fake news.

Her room — 14 feet, 8 inches wide and 13 feet long. Well, that's about the size of my bedroom.  Anything wrong with that?  Jefferson's wasn't much bigger.  Anyone who visited Monticello before it got all fancy knows it was hardly a palace.

There's a Hollywood script in there!

And I just copyrighted it by saying so.
CALL ME NYU TISCH WEST!
I HAVE THE DIRECTOR AND CAMERAMAN. JUST NEED THE 8 FIGURE DOUGH.

Not to sound snarky, but I don't know how much you have observed about "Old Virginia."  There are people here, black and white, who have been here for many generations.  They share surnames, and many of them look surprisingly alike.  Tom and Sally were hardly unique.  Hot people have a tendency to get together.....  And, you are absolutely right, there is every possibility that they were a couple who simply loved each other.
I don't understand why this is such a big deal.  If it happened today?  Say out there in Hollywood?  Nobody'd give it a second thought.

And best of luck to you!  You have the germ of an epic!!!!!!!

It's approaching the date commemorating Jefferson's greatest intellectual accomplishment.

Hamilton was for a strong Central Government while Jefferson was more for a government with more power in the states hands for years it was assumed that Hamilton's Ideas had won the day but now it would appear that we are headed into  a more Jeffersonian style of government.

You were doing so well without the name calling and personal attacks.

Rumors are facts of rumors, which are not facts.

Hamilton wanted to finance a central government.  Jefferson wanted an agrarian vision, non-technocratic, non-financier.  States rights supported his vision.  Hamilton compromised on the issue.

Anything to discredit American heritage.

The Civil War is American Heritage.

Rumors are facts of rumors, yes, and furthermore, rumors have factual effects.

That's no way, to treat your mistress. We've come along way, baby. Still have a long way to go.

That is my question.

The honest thing, not the misleading thing, is to say how rumors are factual, not only dismiss them automatically as untrue.

Close to 70k comments on forum.
Hundreds of scars.

Rumor is part of both law and history.

That's the fourth time. May we both discover and know the truth.

Hearsay is a rule of evidence, at law, which has both exceptions and exemptions.  Rumor can be introduced at law as evidence, despite safeguards, for specific reasons – immediate impression, survivor's testimony about a dead person's utterances, etc.
In history, rumor has been known to start wars, market panics, ruin campaigns.
Only the foolish misinterpret rumor as useless or meaningless.

Rumor can have real consequences, and it can be true, false, or a mixture.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Archaeologists found Sally Hemings' quarters at Monticello