Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → How did chickens reach South America?

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

As far as I know, the Americas had no domestic-able animals of any kind.  No dogs.  No horses.  No chickens.  No pigs.  No oxen. The Americas did have indigenous horses, but they died out 15,000 years ago.

Polynesians brought them.

Who probably got them from Spain.

Weren't poultry from Asia and descended from the jungle fowl

One of the mystery 0.0

The his try of the domestic fowl is more interesting  than it sounds  - and it does pose a few mysteries

Here is one theory
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...

Here is another
https://www.google.co.nz/am...

Colonel Sanders was Polynesian?

Chickens descended from Southeast Asia, where Polynesians got them.
Edit: I think the OP is referring to the mysteriously Asiatic chicken that was already in the Americas before the Spanish arrived.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

There were dogs, turkeys, and llamas, at least. Accounts of the first generally acknowledged European explorers report such things. However, there are a lot of historical anomalies out there.  For example, the aforementioned South American chickens, the Apple trees found already growing in New Zealand by the first Europeans we know of arriving there. The light skinned and auburn or red haired mummies found in central China, etc.  We tend to think that not much went on before the advent of writing, but ancient peoples, from 10,000+ years ago were genetically modern H. Sapiens with just as much natural intelligence as people today.  They built, wandered, explored, traded, etc., just as their descendent's did in times when such events could be recorded. An interesting peak into this age after the advent of basic civilization, but before writing, can be seen when ancient peoples who had writing interacted with those who did not. As just one example, surviving records of the Roman conquest of Gaul, indicated that the great size and seaworthiness of Gaulish ships, combined with superior Gaulish seamanship mandated a strictly land campaign against Gaul despite Rome having a sizeable Mediterranean fleet at the time. The Gauls had established trade routes to Scandinavia and far down the African coast. These ships were clearly capable of crossing the Atlantic, or rounding the Cape and sailing into the Indian Ocean or even the Pacific. Did they? Who knows? Any such journeys happened at a time when the Gauls did not possess written records.

They don't fly well so I say walked.

There are old Native American stories about dogs. I would say they have been here a while.

https://3sn4dm1qd6i72l8a4r2...
Mostly people in the Americas treated dogs as wild animals.  These "Bush dogs" from Peru are fairly domestic-able, but they're still feral.  Really, I think the only American dog is the Eskimo dog, which came across with people that crossed the land bridge in pre-history.  But they never made it south.

And the Spaniards got them from Asia.  Chicken DNA is traced back to several SE Asian and E Asian populations, especially in China and India.  Most of Europe got chickens from the Indian strain via Greece in about the 5th century BCE.

I can find citations saying they were discovered in the 19th century, long after Western introduction.
If they weren't introduced by Europeans, I would credit polynesians. They had Andes potatoes and referred to them by the Quechan name when the Portuguese made it to indonesia in the early 1500s.

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut!

What is the air velocity of an unladen swallow?

An African swallow or a European swallow?

They had sweet potatoes, not regular potatoes (which don't grow well in that climate).  Sweet potatoes were grown all across Polynesia, from Easter Island to New Zealand to Hawaii.  The Hawaiians had time to breed over 120 varieties of sweet potato, some of them eaten exclusively during a specific festival, and that was one of the last island groups colonized.
Sweet potato is one of those crops that there is no possible explanation for how it crossed the ocean except for humans carrying them.  There is no trace of sweet potatoes on any islands in the archeological strata until after humans arrive, and then only after a particular epoch (around 700-1000 CE, IIRC).  They first show up on the easternmost islands, and only later in western and northern island groups.

To a point.  It's still a descendant of the Asian Jungle Fowl, but the Araucana **variety** evolved in South America.

Um, I don't know...

Ducks, guinea pigs, rabbits, quail, foxes (at least three different species), llamas, alpacas, viscacha (looks like a rabbit with a squirrel tail), chinchilla, were all domesticated by the Inca, turkeys, other ducks, and some Midwestern ground squirrel in North America.  Jungle peoples kept monkeys and an entire collection of birds for food, and possibly capybara.
Dogs were domesticated before they arrived from Asia, and many peoples used them as pack animals and raised them for food.  The hairless dogs of Central and South America were especially prized.

Most dogs in the Americas were wild animals.  In addition those cute bush dogs, in NA you had good old fashioned wolves and coyotes, and in SA the maned wolves, and everywhere a variety of foxes.
A lack of canines to domesticate wasn't the problem.

Those are a species of fox, still domesticated by some people in Bolivia.  The native peoples of Tierra del Fuego domesticated a different species of fox which they used to drive fish into inlets where they could be netted.  When European missionaries were distressed to find the people had eaten old women rather than their dogs/foxes during a famine they explanation was, "The dogs can help us catch fish, what can the old woman do to keep us alive?"
Sculptures of hairless dogs were common among the Chimu and other peoples of the northern Peruvian coast, where the black ware was among some of the best pottery in the world at the time.  https://www.pinterest.com/p... Dogs among the Andean people were interred with their owners, generally seen as a sign of familiarity.  When the Inca conquered new peoples one of the rules that they instituted was "stop eating dogs".  The only way that dogs would have made it across the jungle of the Isthmus of Panama was if they accompanied humans, they're not well evolved for jungle living and there aren't many (any?) feral dogs in jungle areas.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → How did chickens reach South America?