Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → The illusion of "Free Will"

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

I'm not sure where I fall on the free will debate, mostly because too many different people are using too many different definitions. For example, a compatiblist makes room for free will alongside determinism, but they may not be defining free will the same way as the hard determinist.
I think that Harris is correct within the framework that he sets up, but I'm not sure the framework is accurate. One of his acquaintances (indeed, one of the other 4 Horsemen or new Atheists), Dan Dennett, reframes the question of free will and supports compatibilsm. Other than compatibilism and hard determinism, there are other schools of thought as well as sub-sections, most of which I have yet to explore.
One thing that attracts me to the compatibilist view is that it takes into account probabilities rather than inevitabilities, which I think is closer to reality. Also, it takes a critical view of the very definitions and assumptions that have long eluded this debate. But I am no expert, here, and as I've mentioned, I have more exploring to do.
https://www.youtube.com/wat...

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → The illusion of "Free Will"