Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → How to Fix Stupid: The Great Evil of a Moron's Good Intentions

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

I'm met a lot of cougars in my life, and they all think fixing the world is about getting everyone to "do the right thing."

https://www.youtube.com/wat...

For the greater good, is often followed by the greatest evil.

Carlin had some good stuff, he was a supremely aware of culture and society in a way very few are.
The fact he could see and know as much as he did and still have the fortitude to make it into comedy is beyond me.

I think the reason for the comedic medium is because standup is the only medium that still exists for public speaking outside of politics and religion. If he had lived in Greek or Roman times, he would have been considered a philosopher.
Reading his books shows a completely different picture of him. At least 70% of everything he wrote was just stupid and irresponsible bullshit, interspersed with the few nuggets he's known for from stage performances. I think he had a lot of help with editing, and I think it demonstrates that how a person's ideas shape his character has as much to do with what gets left out as how much good is generated.
It's the difference between additive versus subtractive synthesis. A painter or clay sculptor adds and shapes until the work is created. A stone sculptor keeps removing things until left with what he envisioned.
I think the best of philosophical, moral, or really any abstract ideas, are the result of subtractive synthesis. You have to have a lot of ideas, and collect a lot, and then keep removing the slag until you have a well-shaped product.
I think this is entirely different than religion, which presumes to constantly add ideas to their followers, and thereby stifles and atrophies one's sense of judgement and discretion by a habit of continuous deferral.
Here's an example of some additive synthesis with abstract notions: I was told by a mormon that eight years old is the age of reason. When I told him I wanted to be a brontosaurus when I was eight, and asked if he thought that perhaps this notion might itself be a result of eight-year old reasoning, he simply smiled and changed the subject. I'm certain that applying some reasoning and judgement of his own adult mind might have prevented him from saying something so utterly stupid.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → How to Fix Stupid: The Great Evil of a Moron's Good Intentions