Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Cinema & TV → Patty was never given a set tone by the studio

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

I hope that's the case with all upcoming DCEU movies. Have the connective scenes, lines, whatever but let the directors do their thing. Don't turn the DC movies into the same old same old MCU style movies.

That's what I hope too but with Johns' recent comments, things don't look too good to me. "FUN" will be the emphasis now.

So they let the director do his thing, that's what all studios should do. Good Job DC.

Patty's good looking just thought I'd put that out there like I always do.

Reportedly that is not what happened with Suicide Squad, though. After the harsh critical reaction to BvS WB brought in the trailer production company (!) to do music video style reshoots to add a "dosier" for each team member? Are you kidding me?
David Ayer said he had shot 6-7 versions of the film and one of them gives more attention to the baskstories of each team member and is "more linear." But IIRC the studio was worried that "the audience wouldn't know who to root for," or who would be the central hero. Ayer claims there is no other alternate cut that was stored by the studio, and that said he likes the final Extended Cut the best, But I'm sorry, I really have trouble believing that. By the same token, who can blame him, though. Making GCS should be a blast. And if he had slammed the studio for what they did he could kiss that gig goodbye.
Ayer did say that if he had it to do over he would not have made Enchantress the main villain and he would have used the Joker instead. Which is curious indeed, because he reportedly shot hours of Joker footage and used at best 5 minutes of it!
I mean, SS did perform impressively at the box office at $746M. So maybe the studio ultimately did make the best financial decision with the edits it reportedly stepped in and made. And imo the film, even as it currently stands, could still be a very good story if they had but made just a couple of simple tweaks to it.
But anyway, hopefully the studio learned some important lessons from the editing decisions they made for the theatrical release of BvS and how they weakened the overall flow of SS. In most cases I'm sure they will be better off if they simply allow a talented, gifted director to fulfill the vision that he or she has.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Cinema & TV → Patty was never given a set tone by the studio