Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → The first Black Senator: Hiram Rhodes Revels

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Looks like Andre Iguodala lol

LOL, he does, good one.

Oh . Come . On
He's not black, he's a mulatto.
Look at the bone structure of his face.
This is a black:
https://uploads.disquscdn.c...

Either way he was a first.

"Racism remains in retrograde, grievance does not." And yet what we see today is precisely a new outburst of (white) racism and (white) grievance. That black racism and especially black grievances do exist is undoubted. But do you really think that ordinary American black working people generally use "fascist rhetoric" or "racist" rhetoric "in order to silence opposition, or demand that which they do not deserve"? Do they use "racist" rhetoric at anything like the levels that white people do? Here on the Internet one cannot escape blatant know-nothing "revisionist" expressions of white racism. They are obvious and undeniable.
But more important, in black homes and communities images of MLK and Obama and even sometimes Robert Kennedy remain prevalent. In the past, when blacks despaired of inclusion, when they felt the social and economic system was stacked against them irretrievably, there were always some who in their despair chose to march with Marcus Garvey or left their churches to join the "Nation of Islam." So today you will sometimes find this the case.
The situation for white working people today, with the de-industrialization of American society, is often terrible, and many of their grievances are completely legitimate, but it remains worse for black working people. Nevertheless, even today, among black people the desire for full inclusion in the "American Dream" is still clearly the overwhelming goal, just as it was 140 years ago for Hiram Rhodes Revels.
I am not "politically correct" by the standards of the Democratic Party, and less so by the standards of white racists. I grieve about the situation in our country as much as you do, I also share your frustration at the lowering of educational standards in our public schools.
In my opinion, to stand with Socrates against Mussolini is NOT the same thing as complaining "How long do we use this as an excuse? The 22nd century? The 23rd?" every time somebody speaks about the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow, or mentions present economic inequality, or submits an OP about a mild-mannered black Reconstructionist.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → The first Black Senator: Hiram Rhodes Revels