Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → The Caning of Charles Sumner

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

"Cane", hell !
He should have shot the miserable S.O.B.;
Multiple times.
Disgusting, pompous, hypocritical, self righteous, corrupt northern elites should all be shot.
Or hanged.

I don't know how true this is, but I have heard Brooks friends pulled guns and wouldn't allow anyone to break up the shellacking.

yeah it is funny that people think politics have never been more partisan or vicious than now. didn't adams call jefferson a hermaphrodite and his wife a prostitute? or maybe the other way around. either way the old school guys where pretty rough and tumble.

Yea, another story is how Andrew Jackson's wife was so ridiculed some say it lead to her death. They definitely had some better insults back then.

Two Colt 1851 Navy revolvers will settle a lot of arguments.

Of course it wasn't too long after the posting's incident that the USA started shooting at each other.

yeah, we do that a lot.

They already were shooting at each other in Bleeding Kansas there are some who would say the American Civil War started in 1854 and lasted until 1865. Also the pollsters are saying that the US today is as divided as a nation as it was in 1854 so we as a nation are living in interesting times.

When he returned to the House Mr. Sumner did carry a gun.

And being a typical yankee ponce,
he would probably need instruction
before he could successfully commit suicide.

I love old school propaganda drawings. Deftly holding his writing instrument while being beaten.

Good observation. Lincoln's "House Divided" speech was indeed a brilliant, carefully explained demonstration of the aggressive conspiracy of pro-slavery forces then challenging the basic foundations of the United States. The new Republican Party had to confront these forces to save American freedoms.
After the Dred Scott decision Lincoln correctly understood which way the political winds were blowing -- that without mobilizing the country against this "conspiracy" the next decision would make slavery the law of the land, north as well as south.
"Welcome or unwelcome, such decision is probably coming, and will soon be upon us, unless the power of the present political dynasty shall be met and overthrown. We shall lie down pleasantly dreaming that the people of Missouri are on the verge of making their State free; and we shall awake to the reality, instead, that the Supreme Court has made Illinois a slave State. To meet and overthrow the power of that dynasty, is the work now before all..."
and
"I believe this government cannot endure, permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved---I do not expect the house to fall---but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing, or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become alike lawful in all the States..."
quod.lib.umich.edu/l...

Democrats have always turned to violence against Republicans when argumentation fails to prove them right. It has been ever thus.

https://youtu.be/r-AU5zgyUYQ

LOL great video, sums it up nicely.

Thank you very, very much for taking my comment seriously and providing this material.
It's important to remember that Lincoln's claims were once highly controversial.
Most people seem to assume that he was always 60 ft. tall and made of marble.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → The Caning of Charles Sumner