Most religions teach the body is just for the lifetime and the soul carries on without it.
Whether you accept this is up to you as faith exists without proof or evidence.

Testimony is often reasonable.

So we go through existence like in phases to reach a new level of consciousness?

We are possessed by Harry Potter.  Stop watching him.

That's a buddist philosophy,a Christian outlook would consider life as a test, passing or failing leads to hell or heaven.

So is your mom.
Sorry, couldn't resist!

So in buddist philosophy it's always a win win?

I think they consider human life a rare gift. It's benefit is that it offers the opportunity  to break Samsara (the endless cycle of rebirth in the 6 realms ) and provides the possiblity to gain enlightenment.  But over all being born human means suffering. Only enlightenment can save  a person from this endless chain.

I see, so you repeat the cycle until you enlighten.

If you are lucky, you stay in the top 3 realms , depends on your karma, none of which allows you to remind enlightened. If you are not so lucky and have bad karma, you go to the lower 3 realms. Things are not so great there and the chance of returning as a human to gain enlightenment is much less.

You are a micro organism, of a larger life form.
  It (mom Earth) has as much control over you and yours as you do, over the micro structures of your body.  (Which is more than you give credit for in your comment.)
Is nature (Gaia) soulless? perhaps.

Some people are conjecturing that consciousness is a quantum production, there is no cogent theory for this that I know of. No one has observed, or even proposed a method for quantum events influencing the signalling activity of neuronsm which is extremely well understood. We do not have a verified theory for the production of consciousness; however, we do understand neuronal signalling, and it is completely explained by observable phenomenon.

It's a false dichotomy to talk of you and your body as seperate; you are your body as I am mine. However, we ate not just a brain in a transport system either; every aspect of your physicality affects who you are.

It's a false dichotomy to talk of you and your body as seperate; you are your body as I am mine. However, we ate not just a brain in a transport system either; every aspect of your physicality affects who you are.

Meh.

OP: "Do we own our body entirely or are we just guests in it?"
Who is this 'we' of whom you speak?
Prahalad, Yoga Teacher: "You are not this body; this body is not yours"

Some folks think is is who they are:
https://uploads.disquscdn.c...

"I would say at the most fundamental level technically speaking, if it did not exist it could not function. What I am saying is that I have seen no evidence or justification for the notion that quantum events make any meaningful contribution to the codification that results in consciousness."

Fair enough.  Logistically speaking, a context gets established to accommodate the witness. smile
(Too subtle I know, but it gave me chills to say it.)