Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → "the Left stinks and gets nothing done or ends up ruining things."

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

@StupidIsAsStupidDoes
Invitations are sent.
See?  We're fair and balanced here, SIASD. 

Thank you. 
And SIASD or even 'Stu' are fine.

Aye. 

Who, has been expecting differently?
Still, no one goes to jail.???

As was recently explored, "the Left" means nothing.  The only reason to use such a content-free metaphor as "Left" or "Right" is to control the narrative by implicitly ascribing whatever members and characteristics to those groups that you wish, so as to support one side or the other or simply to imply that there are two points of view.
The most common and pernicious effect of using Left and Right as political terms is exactly that implied binary narrowness - ignoring the countless political opinions and perspectives that have been expressed for centuries around the world and boiling it down to those two invented groups in a way that implies that not only are those the only two political groups that matter, but that they there really are only two possibilities.
If you are not right you are wrong (=True and Meaningful).  If you are not Right you are Left (=Meaningless).
It takes a little more time and little more effort to describe political positions and political actors in detail.  It's worth it.
Having said that, I am lazy and easy going (when I'm not being obsessively pedantic) so I will cheerfully abide by and allow Left and Right as terms when the implication is clear and the subject does not depend on a rigorous definition - if someone wants to talk about why white working class Americans lean Right rather than Left, that's an interesting conversation that won't be advanced by an insistence on using different terminology.

Long ago, I joined a MOO as Apemantus, and because I was young and relatively new to the internet, it took me by surprise that everyone called me Ape or Ape Man.

Well poisoning in general (whether you're slamming the left or the right) is at least fallacious, and at least nominally unethical. In argumentation, it is considered bad faith.
You can use the labels as containers for related political and social beliefs, but not as a means to dismiss others' views or as a polemical substitute FOR arguments.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → "the Left stinks and gets nothing done or ends up ruining things."