Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Find The Proof, Yourself

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

If you are stating a proposition that is well known to have considerable undisputed evidence behind it, then you don't really need to explicitly cite the proof.  It goes without saying that the earth is round.  If you are talking to someone who you know does dispute the evidence, say a believer in a flat earth, and you want to convince him otherwise, then you do need to cite the evidence.
Appreciate that the issue cannot be stated absolutely.  The evidence you need to cite is relative to what you are trying to do and who is your target audience.  For example, if met with an un-evidenced assertion like, "man cannot change the climate," I can dismiss the claim for lack of evidence.  That will persuade no one.  To refute the assertion I have to show the counter evidence and demand his evidence. The burden of proof is unfair, but who said persuasion is fair? That is why propaganda works.

I hear what you are saying about propaganda...though I wasn't really posting about that. I am more interested in how things should be in conversation. I also agree that the issue cannot be stated absolutely. I think that the subject that you are talking about, at any given time, plays a part in who the burden should be on, if anyone. Still, I think that there should be generalized rules about this sort of thing.

Hitch was most severe about establishing the validity of claims such as "We're out of Rothmans, Mr. Hitchens," and "I think you've had quite enough to drink, sir."

If you are making a claim that you want someone else to accept, you have a burden to support the claim.  If you're unwilling to take on the burden to support the claim, then the other person is justified to ignore your claim as if you never made it.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Find The Proof, Yourself