Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Thoughts on Badge?

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

It's an interesting blog. Fun to browse. I am not someone deeply moved by photography, so I stuck to the written pieces.
I recognized something that I related to in the style of writing itself though. I had a tendency to write in long, convoluted sentences peppered with complex terms and phrases, when I started writing. Much of my earlier reading, which would influence my writing, was of literature that predated the popularity of efficient and simple communication. Yes, there were writers like Orwell and Hemingway who insisted on it even back then, but I was somehow caught up in the admiration for the masterful use of vocabulary by some of the earlier, classical authors. It took me a long time to realize that what sounded exquisite and intellectual, was not always elegant and direct prose. Now, I am not someone who puts much importance on the 'rules of writing', as laid out by literary critics through the ages. This is for the simple reason that language evolves constantly, making any and all 'prescriptive guidelines' nothing more than a frozen specimen of what language was at that time.
Having said that, I do believe in the value of clear communication over linguistic acrobatics, especially in pieces published for public consumption. I feel that expression with purpose, should be the creed of a writer, over the need to impress. I am still trying to hold myself true to this realization when it comes to my writing.
I wish you all the luck in the world with the evolution of your writing skills and style. It is clear that you have a passion for language. I would just like to suggest that it would be productive, in terms of improving your writing itself, if you first let someone who can give you direct feedback read it. It is hard to get a clear opinion online when you're a writer finding your platform. Opinions from non-writers especially, who know you in person, can be of great help in weeding out certain bad literary habits.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → Thoughts on Badge?