Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Cinema & TV → Everything we know about Doomsday Clock

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Sounds crazy

Let's be honest. None of us want to see the Watchmen integrated into the DC universe, but we'll be damned if we aren't morbidly curious to see what they do with it.
Heres the thing. Alan Moore had a contract with DC that stated that when Watchmen went out of print, the rights to the characters (which were based on the Charleston characters Dc had purchased the rights to)  and the world they inhabit would revert to him.
But Moore's talent and success kind've screwed him over, because when you produce something as influential, groundbreaking, and critically acclaimed as Watchmen. That's a book that will NEVER go out of print, essentially guaranteeing that Moore would never get the rights to his characters, at least not in his lifetime.
He outright told the head of DC at the time "You've swindled me, so I will swindle you. I'll never write a book for you people ever again."
Because of that, his Angst and bitterness at big corporations, publishers and franchises never went away, and shows up in numerous post-watchmen works. Most notably Lost Girls (which is basically a cruel joke at Disney's expense) and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (where he made Harry Potter the literal Anti-Christ)
Ever see that episode of the Simpsons he did a guest Cameo on?
3.bp.blogspot.com/-o...
"Corporations are like leeches! LEECHES! They take your dreams and ideas and suck them! Suck them dry until they've gotten every last drop of blood and marrow from your bones!"

Speak for yourself. "Rebirth" and the Watchmen integration are the best thing to happen to DC for years. The entire launch, the arcs ongoing, the main titles are all amazing.
"Some" don't want the Watchmen used (out of nostalgia for the original book, or some other reason, who the hell knows), but too late. They're officially a part of the DC Universe, and they'll be here to stay for a long time to come, I imagine.

I just had some more serendipity.
https://www.youtube.com/wat...
Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley
I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Only the first two volumes, and Black Dossier. The third volume and the Nemo Trilogy spinoff were all published by Top Shelf Publishing.

Moore himself said that if he knew it would have been made part of the DC canon and the effect it's legacy would have on the comic book industry as a whole, he probably never would have written it. He originally intended it to be an Elseworlds tale, a fun darker take on Batman that had no impact on the comics surrounding it. But given it's immense popularity, DC made it canon much to his chagrin.

That's not exactly true. He asked the editor at the time (Len Wein) about whether or not to paralyze Barbara and he said, and I quote, "cripple the b1tch." DC then promptly retired Batgirl in a special, and in the next "Birds of Prey" issue, Oracle was born.

I don't see how it would taint the legacy of the original book, but that's subjective so your opinion is completely normal in that regard. That's about the ONLY complaint I've heard that's the least bit legitimate about them not being in the DCU, BUT ... they are IN the DCU! Their integration was honestly long overdue. DC has so many imprints with so many rich characters that they don't use "often," however they still do crossover from time-to-time. Just WildStorm, for instance. Grifter, Midnighter, etc ... I know they actually shut down WS for a few years and just recently brought it back under Warren Ellis. Same thing with the new "Young Animal" imprint -- they have original new titles and characters but they can use them with appearances by Batwoman, or any other character while maintaining their own line.
As soon as "Before Watchmen" and the 2009 film came around, it was just a matter of time before they joined up with the rest of the DCU.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Cinema & TV → Everything we know about Doomsday Clock