Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → It's KILL-o-meter, not kilAHmeter.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Watching TNG, I can go along with a lot of the apparent futuristic changes in language. I think it makes sense they call all superior officers "sir," and maybe even they changed the spelling to "'cer," for "officer," or something.
If they're going to insist on metric units, why not also stick with the standard?
In fact, I'll go one better. The METER is the basis of the metric system, but its length intended to be 1/10,000,000 of the distance from the north pole to the equator, was determined inaccurately based on a survey done long ago. Logically, one might argue that this unit of measure should be either recalculated, or redefined, but I understand why it would be inconvenient, as it would throw the world into disarray.
On the other hand, the Earth is intended to be 40,000,000 meters around. Why not just take the ACTUAL measurement, and divide it by 12 or 60 or 100. 100 seems most natural, but then 12 and 60 are highly divisible, which is why we use them for time metrics.
That's where my brain sort of gives out, but I think there's more interesting possibilities to cover, once my brain grows some new cells.

Good morning, Null!  The meter has been redetermined for more accuracy over the years.  The original measure of a meter was close enough it was not changed.  The current standard for a meter the distance light travels in a vacuum, and is defined by the equation   1299 792 458 seconds.  It just seems to me they denominator is a little bit arbitrary, since that is the number of meters light travels in a vacuum, and they had to have accepted the original definition of a meter to determine that.  It ALL gets a little crazy sometimes!
I think some eggheads sat around a table, and decided they would devise a measurement system that no one understood it's genesis, used a simply confusing methodology in the creation of said system, and then all these guys slapped each other on the back, and went to a bar to celebrate the confusion they knew they would create.

Was it redetermined, or was it just measured in new terms of lightwaves? Is it the same length? I feel an instinctive need to argue for this, but the other part of my brain realizes it's like arguing restardardizing the keyboard on Dvorak or even another layout. Once standards and formats become universal, you're stuck with it.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forum Oi! → Chit-Chat → It's KILL-o-meter, not kilAHmeter.