You probably wouldnt have had a chance to pick up one..if you were a farmer's or fisherman's kid..you farmed or fished.
They had records of what class you belonged to...and spies and neigbours ratted each other out all the time...(cuz if you didnt, their whole family or village would suffer the consequences)
Two swords were not just weapons, they were a mark of authority. Even those samurai who were poor, and there were alot of them...and had to sell their swords, walked around with empty scabbards, with false handles.
They even had a police class trained in the Jutte, and kind of short heavy rod with a guard that in the hands of an expert could snap a katana in two, then be driven into ones solar plexis, or throat, or temple...if you were some bum thinking you were some kingshit with swords...most likely a ronin, or crook.
You could pass yourself off as a bandit, or ronin, but your life would be short...eventually youd be caught out or simply starve....(as I say..people had strict roles, and well-known rosters in each village..nobody ever just "showed up" one day without attracting attention...Samurai attached to a clan or Daimyo (lit. "Big Name") would have a stipend..a job..and it would usually be enough to feed himself, his horse and his family...The higher up you got the more of a stipend you got...(usually awarded in "koku", the amount of rice needed to feed one man for one year). If you were particularly brave in combat, your Daimyo might award you 20 koku a year...if you only had like say 4 people in your immediate family to take care of, and one horse (I'll be honest, I dunno how much more a horse eats than a man, but I bet its at least 4 times as much)..then youre looking at 8 or 9 koku, then youd have 11 left over to trade to someone else for new or better swords, or different food than just rice...or also feed your parents..or hire some staff of your own..a maid..or a cook..or pay for some nights out...or a massage.
ANYWAY....sorry....I lived in Japan for 8 years..its my thing, this topic..my point is..that  without a job...working for a feudal lord, AS a samurai..and they didnt just hand those out to anyone, whether or not youd be "good" at it...you had to be born into the class.

Sorry its a really interesting way to look at an economy.
Naturally a small child might only need a third of a "koku"...same with an older parent you had to take care of..they DID also have coinage..which was representative of a certain amount of koku...if youve ever seen that weird gold cat that waves at you in a sushi restaurant..he is usually seen holding a "Koban" an oval coin worth about 3 koku.
https://uploads.disquscdn.c...
Another thing people would do is squirrel away certain amount of their rice.--
--(much as civilians/peasants did with weapons...peasants were forbidden from having weapons..which is why "karate" (lit. empty hand) is a thing...and many martial arts weapons are derived from farmers tools for threshing or harvesting rice...they hid or saved weapons because despite the fact that they were outlawed from having them...they were still expected to show up with weapons the next time their Daimyo told them to go to war...which was often...I guess they all looked the other way on the battlefield)--
AHEM..sorry..digression...when your economy is based on a farmed staple..which relies on a certain amount of rain, or sunshine...and you hope some taifun doesnt come along and squash your crops..your Daimyo might have to cut your wages next season...but folks still have to eat...and famine was a lot more common than it is today...so if you had an extra koku or two to spare, you might find a place for it...
LOL...as another aside...many people's houses had rooms with tatami mats in them as a kind of soft floor mat..warm in winter..cool in summer..and very nice in general..
https://uploads.disquscdn.c...
There was one Daimyo who stuffed his castles tatami with dried vegetable stalks...so if they were under siege..they could literally eat their floor.

On my mother's side I am descended from Galloway's of Galloway, the semi-autonomous region of Scotland in it's SW corner.  The Earls of Galloway were a Norman family.  The people of Galloway included a lot of families that were simply named, "Galloway".  The "family" name Galloway entitled one to claim alliance rights as a Sept of the McFarland Clan and they were Border Raiders in all probability.
That's just background.  They had a flail as their special weapon somewhat like this one, but designed to be effective against heavy armor.  A depiction of it appears in the Great Seal of Galloway, which refers to the Norman family that were peers of the Stewarts, but the lore of the Galloway Flail appears to refer to the common folk, named Galloway.
As the story goes four Galloway men were out hunting when they spied a lone stranger coming down the road on horseback and decided to murder and rob him.  Among the treasures they discovered was a heavy flail consisting of a four foot ash pole to which were attached by steel rings a string of five iron bars, each about a "foot" (probably more like 9 or 10 inches) long.  Later that day, they came across a group of their McFarland kinsmen engaged at a disadvantage with a group of enemies.  The Galloway men waded in with one wielding this new weapon. The man with the flail took down four enemy swordsmen and earned great honor for the Galloways. 
It took a strong man to wield this awkward weapon, but neither sword and shield or armored knight could stand against its ten foot reach that could crush shield and armor like paper.  The fifth link would have struck at close to the speed of sound.
The draw-back to such weapons was that they were very dangerous to your own friends if they didn't stay clear of you, which made them useless in the densely massed lines of large force combat and they were poor defense against missiles,like arrows and rocks, which an isolated warrior would be very susceptible to.
Another similar manifestation in Celtic weaponry, but in a completely different way is the origin of the Shillelagh, the heavy wooden club wielded by Scots from the time of the Scourging of Scotland to well into the 20th Century.
After the campaign of Bonny Prince Charlie and the disastrous battle of Culloden (sp?) the British tried to finally put an end to Scottish independence by destroying Scottish culture by banning everything distinctly Scottish.  Naturally, the first thing they did was to try to disarm the Scots, banning firearms, swords, long knives,etc.  But they didn't ban walking sticks and an awful lot of wily Scots developed walking disorders that required the need of a good sturdy walking stick with a heavy upper end they could grip firmly for support in their unsteadiness.  When the Scots became well established in America the Shillelagh became one of their Hallmarks and a bane to Coppers and Foot-pads alike.

It seems that it would take extraordinary training to use this weapon effectively.

Yes it took a lot of practice.